Once in a New York City bookstore I saw a framed map of long gone great bookstores of Manhattan. I'm paying homage to that literary map of Manhattan by noting a few of my current favorites. Bookstores come and go so fast but let's hope the city is never without them.
A Bookstore tour of Manhattan:
- Book Culture: This is full of academic, used, and nice spot for browsing
- Kitchen Arts and Letters: All cookbooks! Enough said.
- The Corner Bookstore: Classic Upper East Side bookstore.
- Albertine: French language books in a beautiful 5th Ave mansion.
- Kinokuniya: The Japanese chain delights with extensive collection and of course Japanese reading material too./
- Rizzoli: Art books everywhere.
- Idlewild: Travel guides and foreign language.
- The Strand: Iconic, a classic.
- Union Square Barnes and Noble: A chain but the best of it, perfect browsing spot.
- McNally Jackson: Champion indie, good for a cup of coffee too.
- Posman Books: Another champion indie, with several locations around the city.
- and a tiny hidden Strand